Saturday, July 31, 2010

Eating habits

Four years ago I weighed 230 pounds. That was roughly 70 pounds ago.

I felt my riding sucked. Well, didn't suck completely, but wasn't what it should be. L is a perfectly stunning beast and we just weren't where I felt we should be. I thought long and hard about it and decided my weight was a problem. When I rode in a stock saddle my belly bounced off the horn. Bareback and English my balance sucked and I couldn't move the way I needed to move. I was in L's way as often as not.

So I gave up soda.

It was rather amazing. I lost almost 15 pounds in two weeks time.

I really wanted to get under 200 pounds. That was my goal. After I gave up the soda I thought maybe I should give up the snacks. So I did. I kept carrots and cucumbers and broccoli around in case I got desperate for a snack and I did now and then.

But the weight came off steadily. I lost the 30 pounds in maybe 8 weeks or so. That got me under 200 but I kept on going.

It was around 180 pounds I started with smaller portion sizes and never looked back. I can't eat like I used to even when I want to.

I like to stay a little under 160 pounds and I never felt better.

But I didn't "diet". I changed the whole way I ate. I eat good. I just don't eat a lot.

I often eat appetizers for dinner. That was actually my friend J's idea. We'd go out to eat and the portion sizes were just too big and we'd be ready to pop by the time we were done dinner. So one day she says "let's just get appetizers". Which is what we did and found it was "just right" - kind of a smack your forehead moment. I often do that at home too.

I fix bruschetta and crostini a lot. Here's crostini with mushrooms and corn:

The topping:


I sauté two finely chopped shallots and 6 or 8 ounces of sliced crimini mushrooms in butter with a liberal pinch of salt and then add 4 ounces of corn and let it cool. I take 3 or 4 slices from a bagette and toast them golden brown, both sides, under a broiler. Paint on some extra virgin olive oil and top with the mushroom and corn mixture.

I added some chopped parsely to this one. Yes, it's dried parsley. Hey, I like dried parsely. I'd think most people would want fresh but I don't think it goes well with this. I'd say skip it. Goes great with a glass of chianti.

So, my very own dieting tip: have an appetizer, skip dinner.

I might have a salad too. Look! This lettuce came from my sad little garden!



Oh and yes, I ride better since having lost that weight and I'm *sure* L appreciates it too! We're still not where we should be. But we are pretty comfortable with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...