Saturday, July 3, 2010

Best thing I ever ate? Maybe!

Homemade fish sticks!


These might very well be just about the best thing I ever ate.

Halibut fish sticks.

Cut a halibut filet into fish stick size strips. Rinse and dry them. Coat them with flour, shake off the excess, dip in whisked whole egg, coat with seasoned bread crumbs. I use bread crumbs from homemade bread. I think it makes a world of difference. So much so that I make homemade bread sometimes just to make bread crumbs with it. In a pinch use some bread from the bakery. Don't *ever* use those things in the can. Panko might be pretty good but frankly the homemade crumbs are so good I haven't tried panko.

I put the breaded halibut sticks in a cast iron skillet with maybe a quarter cup of hot canola oil. Fry them for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.

I had them with tartar sauce and fennel/apple slaw. And a lemon wedge. And some parsley. Just for looks.

Now, the tartar sauce - I make my own, basic stuff, pretty much equal parts Hellman's lite mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish but I add a little finely chopped preserved lemon and chopped cilantro. Chopped cilantro in tartar sauce is OMG good. I have it on crab cakes all the time. Try it.

What's with halibut this year? It costs a fortune!

Oh. Pinot grigio goes great with them. I'd think a chardonnay will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...