Sunday, July 11, 2010

My sad little garden

Channeling my inner Oliver Douglas:

I live in a condo and I board my horses. Sometimes I really miss having a farmer's porch and a garden. I never miss cutting grass and shoveling snow. But every time I think it's time to move I look out my living room window and say not just yet.

This is my view to the west:

And my view to the south is better. Did you know views are appraised? My view is 18% of my property value according to my last appraisal. I love my view.

But I still miss having a garden. Every year I mean to ask the BM/Trainer for a few square feet to plant some lettuce or squash or some such thing. But every year I have a bunch of excuses. Spring is a busy time of year anyway and even though we're practically family around our barn my planting a garden would cross some boundaries I'm sure.

This year I said screw it. I picked some trays out of the recycle bin, poked some drain holes in them, filled them with soil and I planted some lettuce and cucumbers. It worked out so well I stopped and got a couple of aluminum foil roasting pans a couple of weeks later and I filled those with soil and put in some mixed greens and basil. I put them out in a discreet corner of the property and nobody even knows they're there.

I got my seeds at the dollar store. My squash didn't come up. Bad seeds I s'pose. But all I need is say, .. 2 heads of lettuce and a couple of cucumbers and whatever else I get is free food!

Sad as my little garden might be, look!


Another week or two and I'll be eating salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...