Friday, July 9, 2010

Support your local farmer

I live in a town that has a Community Farm. Property purchased by the town several years ago as part of the community preservation effort was developed into a community farm as a nod to our rural roots. Produce is sold on the farm stand on the property 4 days a week. I stopped the other night and found excellent quality lettuce, cucumbers and basil. The local produce is one of the joys of the season. Keep local sources of quality produce viable - visit your local farm stand!

Being with my horses makes me feel close to the earth and close to natural things. Preparing food with local, high quality, seasonal ingredients is just another part of that whole close to the earth rhythm of life thing. I'd hate to see it go away.

We're having a gangbusters season this year in the metro west Boston area. The Farmer's Market has field tomatoes for sale and I'm told Kelly's Farm Stand even has their corn for sale already.

I never liked pesto much until I started making my own.


I find it's the garlic mostly and obviously your choice of olive oil will have a huge impact on your pesto!

1. 2 cups fresh basil, packed
2. 1/3 cup or toasted pine nuts or chopped walnuts
3. 1 teaspoon lemon zest
4. 4 cloves garlic
5. Pinch of salt
6. Fresh ground pepper to taste
7. 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
8. 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Just whir all that together in a food processor or a blender. This makes 2 servings. I love it with chianti.

And you can freeze pesto! Leave out the cheese if you're going to freeze it. The cheese doesn't freeze very well. Add the cheese when you thaw it for serving. I understand it will keep for 2 or 3 months anyway. Use those little 2 oz. plastic containers lined with baggies to freeze your pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...