Saturday, July 3, 2010

Competition. It's about the training.

Gee - you'd think I knew what was I doing!

I'm not really a competitive person. Competing and showing just isn't my passion. I do think it's important for a horseman to know how to show his horse and I think a few trips around the show ring is part of a well trained horse's experience.
But showing L is fun. She likes it. She has presence and when she flips on the high beams she's positively stunning.

We're not competing this season and I'm surprised I miss it a little. It feels odd.

Showing and competing is about the training. Something to do with your horse. I remember Thanksgiving Day in 1986. I was driving to my parent's house for dinner. It was around 11:00 am, it was cold and snowing like a bastard. I drove by a stable and there, in the snow, was some guy riding his horse. And I think that was when I was first struck by the drive some people have to do this stuff. When I see people with their horses in competition I see the hours and hours of training behind it.

That takes real passion.

I have to admit though - the year L took a Grand Champion rosette was quite the thrill, it really was. I still don't think that was her best showing. Well maybe it was.
But there was one weekend, one year, she had the magic and she was spot on, she looked good and every move she made she was spot on. For whatever reason the judge just wasn't impressed and I think the best we did was pin 3rd. Judges are like that sometimes and some people find it harder to accept than others. But I was impressed. She had focus, she behaved beautifully, she hit all her marks and I found her to be "reassuring" and felt we had a real partnership coming together.

1 comment:

  1. That is great that even without the results, you were still able to walk away from that a winner. And I think that is your point. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...