Monday, January 31, 2011

One should always pay attention

I *love* mussels! These are not mussels.

Mahogany Clams

I was just dying for mussels. I didn't see any mussels but the nice man behind the counter said they were out back, in the refrigerator, and he went and got me a bag. You know, I didn't even look until I already had a pan on the stove and...nope, not mussels.

So of course I forged ahead.

This is (I think..) a Neapolitan recipe for mussels. You get a really large skillet very hot, put your mussels in, pour in a cup of dry white wine (or vermouth, I like dry vermouth), add some chopped garlic and a couple of chopped tomatoes, cover it and a few minutes later the mussels are open. You add some chopped green onion and cilantro and serve it all in a big bowl. The mussels are *delicious* and the broth is to die for.

So I used the mahogany clams.

First time I ever had mahogany clams. They were ok. Not as good as mussels. Not as good as our local steamers. And they didn't drive away my craving for mussels!

So..lesson learned. One should always pay attention!

Edited to note: As a bowl of steamed shellfish, mussels or littleneck clams would have been better but, I do think these would have been very good in a seafood stew. I'll have them in seafood stew for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...