Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dress warm!

I really don't mind the snow so much. It can be very pretty:

Winter Wonderland!

It can be stark:

It is very distinctive. You know the season immediately when you see either of those pictures.

But I just *hate* this:

15 January 2011 7:00 am

That's too close to zero for me and I'm *really* miserable when it goes below zero. There's no way you're going to be comfortable when it's below zero!

But the horses don't mind the cold and they *love* the snow!


Zoom!

Um, b'bye

Little sister loves this stuff too!


Wheeeeee!

I love happy horses!

What. You don't wanna play?!

Sure. I just can't keep up!

Ever ride in the deep snow? Bareback? A good strong horse working through the deep snow is magical. Lots of "lift". I walked through that stuff and it's hard but she never even breathed hard. Must be nice!

Coming home

And...obviously...it's the right time of year for one of these!




And it's a *perfect* day for braised lamb shanks!


My universal red meat braising liquid:
  • Finely chopped celery, carrots and onions, equal amounts
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 14 1/2 oz. can chopped tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire or A-1 sauce, which one depends on my mood
  • Pinch of salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
I browned my lamb shanks on all sides in a little canola oil in a cast iron dutch oven. A tablespoon or so. That took 8 to 10 minutes.

I removed the shanks and I sweated the celery, carrots, onions and garlic until they were soft and translucent. That took about 8 minutes or so. Then I cranked the heat to high. When it was hot I added the wine and let it boil off for a couple of minutes.

I used negroamaro.  I usually braise with what I plan on drinking and, as a pairing, I think the negroamaro was excellent with lamb.

The experts say "earthy and rustic"

Then I added the chicken broth and tomatoes. I also added some dried rosemary and dried thyme to the mix, I think they go really well with lamb.

When that all came to a boil I put the lamb shanks into the liquid, covered the dutch oven and turned the heat to low and let that all simmer for 2 or 3 hours.

That's pretty much the way I braise everything - from pot roasts to brisket, in that same braising liquid.

Here's a tip: I rarely have 2 or 3 hours to be braising things on the approach to dinner time. So I'll frequently do it ahead of time and then, as dinner time approaches, put it on the stove for the last half hour or 45 minutes.

Strain the liquid before serving. Sometimes I put the strained stuff in a blender and add it back to the liquid to thicken it.

I love garlic mashed potatoes with just about anything that's been braised.

1 comment:

  1. Lovin' the question face in the last image of L here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...