Sunday, January 30, 2011

Enough snow

If this doesn't say "Winter" I don't know what does:

29 January 2011

We've had worse winters but not for a while. I think we have enough snow thanks. There's another storm in the forecast and I guess the end of it is supposed to be ice. An ice storm on top of this stuff will be just great.

It's not hard to keep a training program going when it gets like this. It's impossible.

L is as strong as an ox and all kinds of willing. Although there were some stains in the snow. Behind where my car was. And they were just...just...well, wrong. Showing my sweety these stains were harmless was an unexpected challenge! She wasn't being bad. She was really frightened. That's what happens when you ride hardly a couple of times in a couple of months. But like I've said a hundred times I know she really does have the heart of a lion and we pressed on!

There's snow *everywhere*

I can feel her working really hard getting through snow almost up to her belly!

We did about a half mile through this stuff and that was quite enough.

I can practically drag my feet in the snow in some places!


We worked the driveway a little but we have to be careful of the ice where it's been plowed. There really isn't any way to have a program without indoor facilities this time of year. I just try to get us out enough so we don't completely fall apart!



Here's a plan that's working! Yes, soup really is helping make Winter a little more bearable!

Minestrone:


My standard soup base is equal parts of finely chopped celery, carrots and yellow onions. About 1/3 of a cup each. For an Italian inspired soup I add a clove or two of finely chopped garlic, a generous pinch of Italian Seasoning, and some red pepper flakes. I sweat that mixture for 6 to 8 minutes with a pinch of salt in some olive oil.

Then I add a 14 1/2 oz. can of diced tomatoes.

In this case, for minestrone, I added 2 cups beef broth and let it simmer for about 40 minutes. Then I turned off the heat and added a half cup each of cannelini beans, corn and green beans and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes. I would have put some noodles or rice in it too but I was having pasta for dinner so I didn't.

This was delicious soup and the cold and snow didn't seem so bad.

1 comment:

  1. That snow is deep!! Bet it was a good workout for L, having to plow through that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...