Monday, January 17, 2011

Field Trip!

Of course you know I just loved this.

Fermenters and...wine barrels!

Did you know wine barrels can cost up to $1500 each?! I had no idea.

We went to visit Nashoba Valley Winery and toured the winery.

Just as luck would have it..we enjoyed a private personal tour! We were the only ones there. How cool is that!

Nashoba Valley Winery is a 52 acre orchard in Bolton Massachusetts that's been making fruit wines for many years now. Before you think "Boone's Farm" - Nashoba Valley is highly regarded and they produce lovely premium wines.


For dessert their raspberry wine with dark chocolate truffles is an all time personal favorite dessert.

They distill their own spirits now! With the first (and only?) - legal - farmer's still in Massachusetts.

Cute little still

The still yields 5 gallons. I tasted the single malt whiskey that came from that still and it was holy crap good.

We enjoyed our visit. Our tour guide, Laura, I think was her name, was warm and gracious and we tasted several wines during our tour. I thought the Vidal Blanc would go really well with some white fish, like flounder or haddock and I'll buy it sometime. The Riesling was very good but it was a little sweet for me. The St. Croix I thought was interesting and I can't decide about the Stawberry dessert wine. I might have to sample more of that!

And they brew beer at the orchard. In some cases they use their own hops they grow right on the property.

A trellis of hops. I love hops!

So it turns out this visit was about as bad as going to a tack shop! Just once I'd like to go to tack shop and leave without spending a hundred bucks!

I had to get some of their grappa. I love grappa. And some elderberry brandy (that will help chase away the cold), and some Dry Blueberry wine. And a small assortment of beer and hard cider. Their shop has very nice wine racks and very nice hand made glassware. So I had to get a nice martini glass as a memento.

We had a really good time although I don't think the personal private tour is at all common. I understand that normally the tour group size is limited and there are typically quite a lot of people. And they can be lined up 7 or 8 deep at the tasting bar. I don't think I'd like that.

But we had a great afternoon here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...