Saturday, January 29, 2011

Beef. It's what's for dinner.

I do eat an awful lot of seafood but I enjoy a steak every now and then too.


I really don't know where this technique came from but I've been doing steak this way for years now.

I preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and I use a really hot, a scary hot cast iron griddle. I usually don't fix steak in the winter because I set off the smoke alarms if I'm not very careful.

First, I oil the food, not the pan. I heard Bobby Flay say that about grilling a few years ago and it makes sense. I don't think I've oiled a pan since. I brush some canola oil on each side of my steak. Then I grind on a little salt and cracked black pepper.

My steak then goes on the griddle for one minute. I turn it over and I do the other side for one minute. Then I put the griddle in the oven for one minute plus one minute for each inch of thickness. So a 1 inch steak will be in the oven for 2 minutes.

And I get a close to perfect medium rare steak every time.

Rib eye is my favorite but I like NY strip too. I never marinate or use any sauce, like they say in Texas, the steak speaks for itself.

This Dry Blueberry wine went well with my steak and I have a funny story here. I don't like this wine very much. But I really want to like it. Really. It's made from wild Maine blueberries. How can I not like it! Well, I think it went well with the steak and I didn't like it all that much but the second half of the bottle was much better than the first half.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna try this tonight on my steaks. Only I'm using Delmonico. I'm curious if they'll come out as delicious as yours look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delmonico should be fine. Watch out for smoke. Good luck and let me know how it goes. I hope they come out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...