Sunday, July 31, 2011

Corn Fed

It was a couple weeks ago the first ears of local corn appeared at the farm stands.

17 July

This time of year I'll eat corn just about every day until it's gone. I'm crazy for fresh corn. A summer treat that never gets tired. Here. Look at this.




Buy Fresh. Buy Local.

Almost every community has a Buy Fresh Buy Local campaign of some sort. Find your nearest one and support your local farmer!

Tangerini's Farm 30 July

I call these "tomato towers" because I stack slices of tomato and onion with some herbs between each layer.

Field Fresh

Everything on the plate, except for the vinegar, is fresh from the field. Perfect with a glass of Chianti or Merlot.

Sometimes I use red onion, sometimes yellow. Sometimes I have cheese with it. Grated fresh Parmesan or maybe crumbled goat cheese. With a little splash of vinegar. Try it with a beefsteak tomato. Try it with an heirloom tomato.

Sometimes I leave the stack intact and scatter some sliced cherry tomatoes around the plate. Other times I make a criss cross cut with a sharp knife and just let it all collapse.

One can enjoy this who knows how many different ways.

Saturday. Sunny. Hot. Dry. Breezy. The most perfect summer day.

1 comment:

  1. Love corn. Had two cobs of Peaches and Cream tonight! :-) Our corn just started showing up at stands this week. Absolutely buy local.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...