Sunday, July 17, 2011

Over indulgent?

Yes. Well. I guess I have some work to do! I've been a little lazy and over indulgent lately. I get like that sometimes. I know. Shocking.

The chiropractor visited yesterday and L was out in a couple of places. So, knowing we've been a little sloppy lately, I thought it would be a good idea to do a little ground work in the ring. Just some leading and showmanship.

Things started off swimmingly.

And then. For whatever reason. L flatly refused to continue along the rail. Now, sometimes on the trail she'll refuse something and I'll think about it. She's sometimes better tuned in to the hazards on a trail than I am or maybe there's something about the footing I didn't notice.

But not this time. Not here. Not now. This was so far out of line I thought I was imagining it. Hands down completely unacceptable.

So I had to get ugly about it and I really hate it when then happens. And the hell of it is she not only knows this stuff but she's very good at this stuff.

Of course it's not her fault she's acting like a horse.

It took a couple of minutes to get her "yes sir!" back in order and we'll have to do this again today.

Whether you know it or not it's all training all the time.


Edited to add:

Looking at some pictures I came across this. I fixed this a month or so ago. One of the reasons I take pictures of my food is to recall the things I enjoy the most. And this is one of my most favorite of all dishes. Pasta and black pepper. Or cacio e pepe.


I like minimalism in general but this is a model for less is more. There are recipes for this all over the web and it's more about technique than ingredients. I don't recall exactly where I saw this technique but it results in a truly beautiful thing.

Fix your spaghetti as you normally do. Heat a large lightweight skillet. About 4 minutes or so before the pasta is ready add a couple of tablespoons of olive to the skillet and add two teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper. Cook this for a minute or two until it gets really fragrant. Ladle a cup of pasta water into the skillet and bring to a boil. Let it mostly boil off. Add the pasta, turn the heat off, stir and flip and add some finely grated Pecorino Romano. A 3rd of a cup maybe.

Plate the pasta, add some more pepper, as much as you like, add some more Pecorino Romano, as much as you like. Be mindful of that "little is more" thing.

Have some chianti or a merlot with it. The flavor will amaze.

2 comments:

  1. I like this recipe! Simple is good. Here's one for you:

    4 cups cherry tomatoes halved
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    chopped garlic
    1 tbspn fresh chopped rosemary

    Toss in bowl, put in a glass pyrex dish and bake for 20 minutes at 400F.

    Make penne pasta while tomatoes are baking. Time it so that the pasta is ready when the tomatoes are ready to come out. Toss tomato mixture in the drained pasta. Add 2 tbspn of fresh chopped sweet basil and handful of crumbled goat cheese. Toss again. Smells devine, is delish and is soooooo easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe Wolfie! Looks like something I'll like and I'll try it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...