Monday, July 4, 2011

Mulberry season

The 4th of July is mulberry season. We have mulberry bushes all over the property.


I mark the occasion with...

Mulberry pancakes!

Beating the horses to the mulberries can be challenging.


Very becoming

But we've all been doing this for a long time now and we have a lot of practice.

July 2004


I'm getting too old for this

It's one of the ways I mark the passage of time. Mulberry season is one of those high points in the year. I'll make some mulberry jam in the next few weeks. I'll make mulberry parfaits and mulberry yogurt. I'll have more pancakes and I'll have them plain in a bowl.

The stems stay with the mulberries when you pick them. They're edible and harmless but I don't like them.


I just trim all the stems off with little scissors before I prepare them. It's kind of a pain but these are such a treat!


Speaking of treats. We have raspberries around the property too. It's really hard to get to these before the birds!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE raspberries. Those mulberries look delish. I have never had any. What would you compare them to taste-wise??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. It's hard to say. A little bit like black raspberries but they're maybe a little more tart. They're like...well...mulberries :)

    I really don't know why they're not more prominent. They're quite delicious. I've heard some farmer's markets have them sometime.

    Off the top of my head I know of 5 bushes on the property. These "bushes" have to be close to 20 feet high and there are tons of berries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i almost didnt see you picking berries with the horses there. very funny.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...