Monday, August 1, 2011

Channa Masala?

Get out! My very first curry!

Chickpea Curry

I love curries. But I always felt they were too complex for me to prepare at home. Well. I was inspired by this. There are tons of curry recipes out there. Chickpea Curry, variously called Channa Masala, Chana Masala, Cholay, Chhole Masala, is easy and delicious. This can be served over rice or with some toasted rustic bread or pita chips and some greens.

The ingredients:
  • 1 lb. chick peas. Canned are fine. I fix my own from dried.
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil. Oilve oil or Canola oil.
  • 3 yellow onions, finely chopped
  • 3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Chhole Masala blended spices
  • 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
  • 2 teaspoons red chili powder (more if you like)
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • Up to 3 cups of water. I use the liquid from the chickpeas.
  • 2 tablespoons of water squeezed from soaked tamarind. You can also use 1 teaspoon amchoor powder or even some lemon juice in a pinch.
  • 1 teaspoon cumin powder (optional)
  • Chopped fresh cilantro, as much as you like
Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions and saute until they're browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the chickpeas and the dried spices. Stir and heat for 5 minutes or so. Add the chopped tomatoes. Add a pinch of salt if you like here. Simmer for a few minutes, until the tomatoes start to break down. Add water to make a gravy. The amount of water will vary with how thick you like your gravy. Up to 3 cups. Simmer this for 15 or 20 minutes. The longer you go the better it is.

This is a fragrant and flavorful northern Indian dish and you can use the very same recipe for chicken or cauliflower. Healthy and delicious.

Serve it over rice and scatter chopped fresh cilantro over the plate. With many thanks to my friend S for helping me with the recipe and the ingredients. I'm quite thrilled to make this!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE Channa Masala. My mother is Anglo-Indian and Indian food was a staple in our house. Not sure if your friend told you this, but I put in 4 green pods of cardamom in with the basmati rice as it's cooking. It adds a wonderful subtly fragrance to the rice which is complimentary to just about any Indian dish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's awesome! I love culturally distinctive things. Especially food!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...