Thursday, July 7, 2011

More summer fun

I'm on vacation and I went to the beach!

Nice

Second Beach, Newport, Rhode Island

Middletown, actually

That little..er..chapel, there, in the distance, is St. George's School. A really fancy pants private boarding school.

Technically Second Beach is in Middletown. I think Middletown has always had an identity problem of sorts with Newport. Newport International Polo is in Middletown. Right on rte. 138. If you're ever in the area you have to see a polo match. Tons of fun!

Second beach is known for its fine sand and surf.

Listening to the surf can be hypnotic

And the Sachuset Bay water is really very nice. Like a bathtub, as they say. The Newport beaches are expensive and one really needs a season pass if they're going to spend any amount of time there. I would if I could bring my horse!

I probably should have taken this picture before I ate them!

Had delicious oysters for lunch!

We had lunch at the SpeakEasy Bar and Grill on Thames St. down by the wharf.


They took over the old Rhode Island Quahog Company not too long ago and they've had good reviews. They're insanely expensive. One expects that on Thames St. The raw bar wasn't too bad. We split a really nice house salad. The balsamic dressing was forgettable though.

The food was just fine but the service was abysmal. I wanted more oysters but I didn't want to wait a half an hour for them.

It was a hot hot summer day and waiting at home is a bottle of Spanish wine.


I've had this wine for months and then I realized - a bottle of Spanish wine on a hot day needs...Spanish food!

Gazpacho is one of my most favorite things. My recipe varies with my mood. I always use San Marzano tomatoes and I like red pepper flakes. This time I used red wine vinegar, green bell pepper, yellow onion, some garlic and marjoram, some nice olive oil and the basil came from my little garden!


I finished the wine with some Spanish rice and spicy hot shrimp. I mixed up shrimp with some paprika and chili pepper flakes, garlic, olive oil and a splash of sherry and I put them in a 475 degree oven for about 4 minutes.

I was very disappointed with the pictures of my shrimp. Sometimes I just can't get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...