Friday, March 25, 2011

Winter won't quit

First full day of Spring.

21 March 2011

I *finally* had mussels for dinner!


See that broth on the bottom of the bowl? Best. Stuff. Ever. The liquor from the mussels really does make all the difference.

You put your mussels in a hot skillet, pour in a half a cup of dry vermouth, some chopped tomatoes, 3 or 4 cloves of chopped garlic and some chopped green onions. Sometimes I throw in some lemon slices. Cover the skillet and the mussels are done as soon as they open. That can take 5 or 6 minutes. Finish with some chopped cilantro immediately before serving.

I've done this with clams and nothing makes that broth like mussels. Just delicious! Goes great with pinot grigio.

3 comments:

  1. I have had a very similar recipe but with white wine, not vermouth - I will have to give it a try! The aroma when that plate is put in front of you....to die for....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use white wine sometimes too and I can't make up my mind which I like better. Maybe I'll blind taste them side by side sometime.

    The aroma is unforgettable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, gives me a great idea for dinner this week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...