Sunday, April 3, 2011

Happy Birthday Sweety!

Today is L's birthday. She's 10 years old!

One beautiful horse

Smile when you do this.


Whatever motivates a horse person to hang out with horses I think fun needs to be a big part of it. We had a boarder at our barn who would smile so much when she was with her horse her face would hurt when she left for the day.

I've often said I think everyone should be as happy with their horse as I am with L. And it's one of the reasons I blog - because it wasn't always that way. I have so many stories to tell I hardly know where to begin.

Yesterday I started a stopwatch when I mounted up. We went off and we did this and we did that. After a time I checked my watch. It said "8 minutes" had elapsed. I'm thinking to myself "gee I'd swear we've been out longer than 8 minutes". We'd warmed up and we'd done some flexing and bending and we'd gone through the 3 gaits. I can feel L getting more fit with every trip now. We were just poking around and L was looking in the direction of the barn like she was thinking "we must be done by now". I furrowed my eyebrows and looked again and saw it was an hour and 11 minutes had passed. My eyes aren't so good anymore. Apparently I didn't see the hour when I'd looked the first time. See. I knew it was more than 8 minutes!

That struck me especially funny, because back when she was 4 or 5 years old, 10 minutes on L felt like 2 hours and I often thought I'd never get it. I'd climb on, we'd fight for 10 or 15 minutes and I'd be ready to collapse in a heap. She never got tired. I really think she thought it was fun. As often as not I'd wonder why it was I did this.

Obviously since then we've had our milestones and I've learned a lot. I spend most of my time trying to make it up to her and horses are very forgiving creatures. I'm not very good at it but somehow we've become good partners in this. She's one good horse.

You should smile a lot when you're with your horse.




Have a healthy breakfast?

I don't normally eat breakfast. I started having breakfast on Sunday morning a couple of years ago. To make Sunday something special. Usually it's some eggs or pancakes but sometimes I go for something wholesome and healthy.

5 Grain Cereal from Old Wessex

This stuff is actually very good! It's packed with whole grain goodness. I added a little wheat germ and dried cranberries and I squeezed some honey on it. The flavor and texture is basically that of quick cooking oats but I thought it had a scent something like bird seed.

The package said to cook it for 6 minutes but mine was done in 3 minutes.

Next time I want to try some maple syrup on it instead of honey.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday L!! You are both very lucky to have found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, L! You are one lovely looking lady. Canadians rock! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday L! I second what Wolfie says, Canadians certainly do rock! I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog! Horses and cooking tips.
    Happy birthday to your beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!

    Yes Canadian Horses rock!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...