Saturday, March 12, 2011

I love these woods

This picture reminds me of a paint by number (remember those?) I did when I was a kid:

20 February 2011

The adjoining property is wooded. I have no idea how big the property is. I know the neighbor's lot is 630 something acres but I don't know where the property lines are in the woods. There are some stone walls out there.


But for all I know they were abandoned a hundred years ago. I don't think there's more than a thousand acres out there, but there could be. I've walked those woods for years and L and I ride in there for hours.

This has to be my single most favorite picture from the woods:

28 November 2010

I was sorting pictures and the picture immediately before this one had no sunbeams. And the picture immediately after had no sunbeams. On a cold November afternoon, for just a few seconds, a mist rose and the sun through the trees caught it. It's one of those things that really tickles a photographer.

There are trails.


We have to work our way through a couple acres of brush following deer trails to get out there. It took *years* of training to gain the confidence to do that. It can be a little treacherous in the brush and I'd never forgive myself if L got hurt out there. I have confidence in her being sensible but sometimes she absolutely positively has to do what I tell her to or someone could get hurt. She knows when I mean it. And when I don't. Of course I know I have to mean it all the time and I'm working on that.

I've always had a fondness for the outdoors. Being outdoors and feeling close to natural things is one of the (many) reasons I do this horse stuff.

Here. One afternoon. Following a deer trail on horseback. How cool is this! Does it get any better? It looks like a diorama in a natural history museum.

August 2008

1 comment:

  1. Lovely pictures. How lucky are you and L to have such beautiful property to ride through? Thanks for sharing.

    BTW, I remember (and had) paint by numbers. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...