Sunday, March 13, 2011

Signs

of Spring. Even though Spring is still more than a week away. I see sign.

12 March 2011
Someone is shedding

Actually, everyone is shedding.

Daffodils are coming up!


L and I had our first real ride today since...oh, must be since Thanksgiving. We were out a little less than an hour. Doing transitions. Bending and flexing. Some circles here and there. A few lazy obstacles. We didn't work hard. But we worked right.

I've started working out. No really. A bona fide workout. Started on January 7th, actually, on a treadmill. And stationary bike. And free weights. The whole bit. I started running February 25th. I run about a mile and a half and I'm looking to put another half mile on that the week after next. I immediately felt the difference riding. In my legs mostly. I felt more solid, more secure, better balanced and most importantly, it was really easier to put my legs where I wanted them.

And I was more sensitive to the way I was working L. She's young, she's strong, and she's a horse. She doesn't need to warm up like I do! But still, I'm more aware of what's productive, physically, and where to start and what it takes to rebuild her fitness after the winter downtime.

And while riding yesterday I found some pussy willows! They're just barely out. Another week or so and I'll have to go cut some.




Of course a good beer follows a good ride! It seemed like a day for something truly classic.

1 comment:

  1. Spring is definitely here!!! Yay!!! My boy is shedding like crazy. Working out? Good for you. I have recently starting using an exercise ball. I have no idea what I am doing, but I hope it helps with my balance. We go for burgers and beers after lesson every week. I am telling you that, each week, that first beer is the best beer I have ever had! It must be the combo of the barn dust, horse smell and exercise that makes it taste so good! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...