Monday, August 9, 2010

Don't mess with me little lady

My trainer thinks this is just plain silly. You see, to my trainer, a professional, these are simply "artificial aids":

While to me they're medieval torture devices and I just hate using them.

L and I are partners. I'd like for her to be a willing partner. And using spurs implies that maybe she's not always as "willing" as I'd like her to be. Oh I know she doesn't have as much fun with me as I have with her. But it's important to me she finds our time together pleasant, at least. I'm really not going to have fun if she's not having fun. And it is largely about fun.

My trainer did convince me that I don't do L any favors letting her ignore my legs. And however (over) indulgent I might be sometimes she has really *does* have to do what I tell her.

Although it is fair to say that needing them is largely a product of my own doing. If I "stay on the aids" L is beyond awesome. "Staying on the aids" is equestrian speak for "riding your horse". You think it's easy. Well, this isn't about trail riding lesson horses at summer camp and us equestrians devote our lives to learning the business of staying on the aids. It's very much an "in the moment" thing, knowing what your horse needs and always naturally giving it without having to think about it. Having one's seat in the right place, having one's legs in the right place, having one's hands in the right place, having the contact and balance just right, all the time, naturally without thinking about it, staying out of our horse's way ... we pay people thousands of dollars to teach us these things.

When I do get it right I don't need spurs. Because when I'm there for L the thought of ignoring me just never occurs to her. The "one with your horse" thing.

And that's what I work at all the time.

When I use spurs I don't nag her with them. And I don't draw blood either. When she ignores my legs I give her one good poke and it's done. Often enough she only needs to know I'm wearing them. She's a smart girl.

This is a variation on the tomato/onion slice with vinegar:

Beefsteak tomato slices, some campari tomato slices, some red onion slices, a splash of red wine vinegar, some basil, salt and pepper. I skipped the cheese. I'm watching my weight. Just delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...