Monday, January 9, 2012

Treasures

I was enjoying a nice ride in the woods with L when we happened across these!

Antler sheds

Apparently these are called sheds. Deer shed their antlers this time of year. A fascinating story really. Apparently after mating the buck's testosterone concentration diminishes. The diminished testosterone concentration causes the antlers to soften and shed.

We see a lot of deer around here. L and I first found our way around the woods following deer trails. Here in west suburban Boston these are of course from a white-tailed deer. I think they're a pretty good size. They're bigger than my forearm. And a nice souvenir of a pleasant day in the woods.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I think you should make yourself a lamp out of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous! They are beautiful. There are lots of deer where I trail ride...I am going to have to start keeping my eyes peeled!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...