Sunday, April 24, 2011

Treats

Are important. A lesson I've learned from my horses.

I was going to get a nice bottle of wine to have with dinner. But you know, I do that often enough. Then the light bulb came on!

The Good Stuff

I stopped by a little Italian market and got this really nice bottle of Volpaia olive oil. It was a real treat. I'll have to have a friend blind taste test me against my daily favorite and see how I really feel about it.

The real star of the weekend however is this celery soup. It's "holy crap" good!


I was watching Top Chef Masters on TV and Naomi Pomeroy made a Celery Velouté that stole the show. So I Googled celery soup recipes and decided I'd try this recipe. Well. I used olive oil instead of butter. I used a Yukon Gold potato. I was amazed. The soup is rich and luxurious and it was just *delicious*.

Cooking Tip - did you know there's something funny about onions and fat? According to America's Test Kitchen, onions take longer to cook in unsaturated fat than saturated fat. Saturated fats are solid at room temperature. So, if you see a recipe that says cook your onions in butter for 2 or 3 minutes, you'll have to cook them for 7 or 8 minutes in olive oil.

This soup will go with just about anything at all and I thought it was especially "Springy". A keeper for sure. Oh, that's chopped parsley garnishing the soup. Chopped parsley was a good choice but my treatment was a little heavy handed. Half that would have been perfect. I always do that. You'd think I'd know by now.

Speaking of treats!

Local honey

I love honey. If you're lucky enough to have local sources for things like this - support them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...