Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Good Advice

Now, as far as I'm concerned, L got a little lively and I failed to stay with her. That happens sometimes.

As far as my trainer is concerned, a grizzly could have charged us from the brush and L should have just carried us both off to safety. And the "situation" reflected some erosion of my position as L's leader. We don't always agree. But. She persuaded me to spend a couple of days re-asserting my position and focusing L's attention on her manners.

I tend to be lazy and L tends to mostly very very good. That makes it easy to get sloppy and it's something I try to be aware of.

Saturday we free lunged. Emphasizing control. It's not just chasing your horse around an arena. Even though that's what it might look like. As usual, L made me work at. Just a little. Even after all this time she makes you earn it. She was, of course, in the end, a rock star.

Sunday we did some showmanship and in hand work. L is quite expert with this stuff. Walking with L is a favorite thing. Everything is right with the world here and and I really need to make more time for this.

Lead the way!

She'll stand here until I take the lead rope back in hand...

Ground tie? Check!

Of course she gets her favorite thing out of the deal!


From time to time I've been asked by people - where do you start if you want a horse? I always have the same answer. Find a trainer you trust and have confidence in. Handling horses is a lifelong lesson and your trainer is your "go to" person for everything horse. I often refer to my trainer as "my Mr. Miyagi". *She* doesn't always like that but she appreciates the sentiment.



I just *love* goats!

2 comments:

  1. "Find a trainer you trust and have confidence in. Handling horses is a lifelong lesson and your trainer is your "go to" person for everything horse." This statement is very true. I can't tell you how many people I know that think that because they have had some lessons, they "know" how to ride and are experts in anything related to horse. It couldn't be farther from the truth in these cases and, frankly, I don't think it's fair to their horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. I was taught "the horse comes first" and your greatest responsibility is for their well being.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...