Sunday, August 26, 2012

Seasons Change

Funny. I always note when the barn swallows arrive in the Spring. But I never note when they leave!

24 August 2012 - Suddenly it's very quiet around here.

We had *hundreds* of swallows in the barn this year. One day I counted over 30 nests when I lost count. There were 2 flights of chicks this season. Flocks of swallows are called "flights". If you know swallows then you know how what an appropriate expression that is!

It's not always that way. I think it was 3 years ago we had a cold wet Summer. There was just one flight that season. I don't think a single chick survived. It was very sad and we wondered if they'd ever come back.

12 May. Aerial ballet.

17 June. Swallows *everywhere*.

We'll poop on you

On a couple of occasions the barn literally swarmed with swallows. They'll come at you right between the eyes. So close you can pick out individual hairs around their little nostrils. Then they'll cut and go over your shoulder. You get so used to it you don't even flinch.

And they often have a lot to say. I'm always wondering to myself what it is they have so much to say about. All sounds the same to me.

They're on their way to South America now and it's very very quiet around the barn.

I couldn't help but notice it's getting dark noticeably earlier. The farm stands have fresh peaches and the fields are starting to fade.

The bugs are getting lazy and even the trees are turning!

25 August. See there? Left center?

Any day now it's going to be apple season. Seems like Summer barely started.

Edited (9/3/2012) to add see? Wha'd I tell ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...