Saturday, August 18, 2012

Crazy for Corn

Fresh corn on the cob is one of my most favorite things in the world. This time of year I'll eat fresh corn almost every single day.

Straight up. No butter. No salt.

There's a lot of discussion on how to best prepare fresh corn. I know people that have their water on the stove before they even pick their corn.

My favorite preparation is roasted. In a 350 degree oven, whole and intact, for 30 or 40 minutes. But I don't always have 30 or 40 minutes to fix corn. I like grilled corn too but I'm not going start up a grill for an ear of corn. So I often steam my fresh corn. A shucked ear in an inch of rapidly boiling water for about a minute and a half.

I recently read some comments over on the Chow discussion board recommending microwaving corn. I don't cook with a microwave much. But some of the glowing comments compelled me to try it.

Microwave a whole unhusked ear of corn for two or three minutes.

Awesome! Excellent corn. I might have a new favorite way of fixing my fresh corn.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE corn. Peaches and Cream is my favourite variety, with a little smidge of butter and lots of pepper. Yummy!! Grilled is terrific but not always convenient. I always steam mine for a couple of minutes in just enough water to cover the cob. Microwave, eh? I might have to try that! However, we have suffered with a bad drought this year and corn has suffered greatly. I may have to wait until next summer to try microwaving it. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...