Saturday, July 28, 2012

Homemade Pickles

Well. Sort of. Yankees are well known for being frugal.

My favorite store bought pickles

I can't be the only one that does this. When I finish a jar of pickles there's more than a half a jar of pickle juice left. See the picture? I hate to waste it. Sometimes I use it in dressings. Especially slaw dressings. Often, especially this time of year, with the abundant farm fresh produce and sandwiches on my menu, I'll use that pickle juice for...more pickles.

I slice up a pickling cucumber. First I drag the tines of a fork the length of the cucumber. It gives the pickles nice frilly edges and helps the pickle juice penetrate. I add chopped red onion and sliced jalapeño.


In a day or two...

Delicious fresh (homemade?) pickles!

I usually get 3 jars of pickles for every jar I buy.



Actually, I do sometimes make homemade pickles. I can't be bothered and I don't have time for the whole canning thing with the sterile jars and all. So I always make some kind of refrigerator pickle. Refrigerator pickles are so easy to make anyone can do it. You keep them refrigerated and I'm told they'll keep for up to 2 months. I've never had any last more than a few days.

Sometimes I just add some sliced cucumber to a vinegar solution with a pinch of salt and a little honey. Maybe I'll put some dill in it too. Makes a great little side flavor thing with sandwiches or a fresh platter.

Something like peppers need a hot solution. Many years ago D. L. Jardine's made something called Texas Hot Wheels. These were *delicious* sweet pickled jalapeño wheels. I used to buy them by the case and I'd sit and eat them until my mouth was numb.

Then they discontinued Texas Hot Wheels. Such a bummer!

I haven't been able to copy the recipe. So I veered off and made a bread and butter solution I use over jalapeños.
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon pickling salt
  • 2 or 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon pickling spice
  • Some whole peppercorns. Sometimes. However much looks right.
I put all those ingredients in a stainless steel sauce pan. Bring them to a boil and then pour the solution over a couple of pounds of sliced jalapeños. Make sure all the peppers are covered with the solution. Cover them and refrigerate when they cool.

Start eating them the next day. They get better and better every day. I just stand in front of the refrigerator and eat them by the fork full. I had some last a little over a week once. They're very good with sandwiches, hamburgers and for some reason, I especially like them with hot dogs.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea - I can't believe I've never heard of doing this before!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...