Sunday, July 8, 2012

Clean horses

I just love clean horses!

Bathing them I'm not too thrilled with

Imagine washing your car and having your car free to wander away from you every few minutes...


It's a big project. Usually on a hot day.

<Censored>

Um. What is he doing?!

Hygiene lesson! Mares get a waxy crusty buildup on their udders. They need a good scrubbing. There was a time L was rubbing her tail. I'd hose her hind and I'd scrub her tail with tea tree oil shampoo. I kept her tail clean and brushed. None of it worked. This can be serious business. They can rub the hair off their tail. The hair can take a very long time to grow back. They can rub their tails raw. They can become infected.

One day, after a thorough bath that included cleaning her udders - she stopped rubbing her tail! Your mileage may vary. It's just something to consider.

The easiest thing to do is either use a soapy sponge or a soapy tail to get under there and scrub. Being very careful. This can be a good way to get kicked clear into next week. If you've never done it before get some help from an expert.

No problem. She likes it!

And it's not as ..awkward..as.. sheath cleaning (can be).



Behold. Nice clean horse!

1 comment:

  1. I just went through my yearly sheath cleaning exercise with Gem. This is the 3rd time I have done it and yes, it's still awkward. :-) You know, I am one of the few at my barn that actually takes care of this type of hygiene challenge with my gelding. I have never heard of anyone cleaning their mare's udders....I didn't realize that the waxy build up on udders could be so uncomfortable for mares. It's fortunate that you recognized what it was before her tail disappeared! She looks beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...