Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fresh stuff!

My friend C and I rented some space in the Community Garden this year. I stopped on my way home from work Friday afternoon and ... look at my radishes!

I love radishes!

I fixed a nice salad with some radish greens. One of the reasons I'm so fond of garden radishes is I like the greens too. They're peppery and flavorful. The greens from supermarket radishes aren't nice like these!

Try some radish greens!

I decided I'd have this with dinner:


I understood Pinotage paired with vegetarian fare. I don't know. I'd have to say..not so much. A little bold for vegetarian. But in all fairness it's very hard to pair wine with salad. So they tell me. But I think this probably goes better with barbecue.

I followed that up with Puttanesca for my main course. I would rather have had chianti with it.


There are dozens of Puttanesca recipes on the web. I made this with San Marzano tomatoes. I used chopped garlic, two anchovy filets, Indian red pepper flakes, capers and I chopped the olives. This dish says so much about how I feel about food. Quality ingredients simply prepared.



And then Saturday was a glorious late Spring day. Dry, sunny, warm and breezy. We picked fresh strawberries!


Just look at these beautiful strawberries!


Strawberry shortcake is hard to resist with these! But I'll have to get some kiwis to mix up with these. I slice them up with a little bit of honey and mix them with Greek yogurt too.

It was the most perfect day for a lazy ride with L. She's been messing with me lately so I had to wear spurs. I phrased that very deliberately. Really, she just needs to know I have them. I don't need to *use* them.


I have a funny story from last week. We went up into the fields and she started messing with me in a big way. I wasn't wearing spurs and I didn't bring a crop. And she *really* blew me off. So I grabbed a small stick.

Not a whisper of a problem for the rest of the afternoon. The stinker!

Oh! Mark your calendar! Summer starts Tuesday, 21 June, 1:16 pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...