Monday, May 2, 2011

A fine specimen?

Well I don't know about that.


Four or 5 years ago I couldn't walk a quarter mile. Nevermind run 3 miles. I quit smoking cigarettes a year ago yesterday and... to mark the occasion? I *finally* threw out my butts! For the time being I never felt better.

Hey he can cook too!

Seared Tuna

Some would call that overdone but that's just the way I like it. I marinated a 4 oz. tuna steak in soy sauce, lime juice, sake, sesame oil and a tiny bit of honey for about 30 minutes. I seared it for 3 minutes each side in a rocket hot cast iron skillet. You need to be careful with the honey. A tiny bit of honey "caramelizes". A lot of honey "burns".

The dipping sauce is soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, lime juice and finely chopped red onion. It's on a bed of finely chopped lettuce and serano chilis.

I always burn the sesame seeds so I sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds over it when I serve it.

I served it with brown basmati rice and steamed asparagus. Asparagus season will peak this month. This was just *delicious*.

Earlier in the day I'd enjoyed a sensational ride with L. She's strong and she's fit and she's been messing with me. So I had spurs. L has taught me two things. It's important it is to be decisive and it's very important to have your horse's mind.

If I haven't reacted by the time she thinks about it I'm already at a disadvantage. She has to believe I know what she's thinking. And I have to be strong enough to settle it the first time. Actually my trainer taught me that. It's not fair to "poke poke"..."poke poke"..."poke poke". I have to give her what she needs and be done with it.

Those are simple things and when I get them right I swear it's like riding a breeze.

After a nice ride L gets grass...


And I get beer!


By the way. That's a Belgian wheat beer. I never had Belgian wheat beer. It's important to have it in a glass. You have to swirl the yeast in the bottle. Do not drink Belgian wheat beer from the bottle.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on quitting smoking. I gave them up 3 years ago, after 35 years, and I know how hard it can be. My replacement fix was taking up riding. :-) That tuna looks perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wolfie! Likewise congratulations. It's a *hugely* difficult thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on quitting smoking.

    If I didn't know any better, I could have sworn that place was filled with steak, not fish. You fooled me.

    Any time you wanna come and cook for me, you are most welcome!.

    Congrats again on the milestone!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...