Saturday, May 24, 2014

Me and the Preakness

I'm not a huge fan of horse racing. I watch the Derby. And I went to Belmont one year for the Stakes. But I feel a fondness for the Preakness.

You see, I live here. In this old mill.

Sanford Mill, 2 August 2010

So. What on earth does that have to do with it?

Milton Sanford built the mill I live in. He was a wealthy 19th century industrialist who made his fortune selling blankets to the union army during the civil war. Blankets made in his mills in the northeast.

He was also fond of Thoroughbred horses. And..he owned a horse. Named...Preakness. Who won the very first Dinner Party Stakes in 1870. Which was later named Preakness in honor of the first race winner.

Even more fascinating than the origin of the name is the origin of the race. It was meant to commemorate a dinner party Milton Sanford had hosted in Saratoga in 1869. That must have been one hell of a party,

The Sanford Mill maybe 100 years ago

Living here as also given me a fondness for antiques. I never thought much about it before living here but...after a time..antiques go really well here.

Updated: It's also interesting to note that although the original mill is long since gone the site of the Sanford Mill is the second mill site in the Americas. It was originally founded by the same people who built Slater Mill. There really is a lot of history around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...