Saturday, May 3, 2014

April Highlights

Around here we thought spring would *never* get here! Mud season persisted. And you know about mud season and horses!

What?

That *really* is a white horse! Of course, they all look like that. You just notice it a whole lot more on him!

But spring did finally get here. Officially! You see, L is very funny. Most horses start to shed their winter coats by the end of February and lose their hair by the handful until it's gone sometime in April. Not L. She hardly loses a hair until...one day...in April...she decides she doesn't need her coat anymore and I swear...

19 April

In 2 days...it's gone. She sheds her entire coat in a single day with a little touch up the next day. I must take 30 lbs of hair off of her! Around the barn we think of that as the real first day of spring.

Listening to the radio the other day on my way to work one of the radio personalities commented on how, in the whole month of April, we had one day we didn't need jackets. Actually, I think we had two.

Saturday 12 April. It was a nice day!

But, you see, the trouble with this time of year is that means we've probably only had two nice days this year. And probably two nice days in almost 6 months! We did have a nice day in January. So we've had 3 nice days this year.

April is also most notable for the return of the barn swallows. The barn swallows came back this year on Thursday 24 April. Just a little late this year! I don't keep a thorough diary but usually they're back between the 15th and 20th. This year there are only 4 of them. I don't know what to think of that!..while we usually have a barn just teaming with swallows this year we have only 4. I don't know what to make of it. Usually the barn swarms with swallows and one year I think I lost count at somewhere near 30 nests! Maybe it was a tough winter for swallows?

Finally...I knew I'd like this.


I try to keep from having preconceptions when I try new beers. That's why I *never* read reviews before I have a new beer. I read the reviews after. As often as not what I think is the best beer ever a lot of people think is crap. I'm not out to educate my palate or become more refined. I just want to make up my own mind. But here we have a Trappist beer and I like the Trappist beers. But this one is special. The only recognized Trappist brewery in the United States is 46 miles away. They're the same bunch that makes the Trappist preserves. We're practically neighbors!

I got out a couple of weekends and cleared some brush to access new trails I'm eager to bring L on. These aren't really challenging trails but they'll be different enough to be interesting. This month has been so wet I'm beginning to think the puddles are vernal pools! We'll get our butts out there as soon as things dry a little bit.

Oh! The last big sighting for April? Wednesday. 30 April. I saw the first ferns coming up!

Edit to add:
I heard a White-throated Sparrow last Saturday 26 April. While everything else has been late this spring I think that's about the earliest I've ever heard a White-throated Sparrow. They're just passing through. They spend the summer in Maine. The Maine woods are full of them and they always remind me of Maine.

3 comments:

  1. Just reading your post made me remember the lovely feel of horse hair in my mouth, up my nose, in my eyes and down my clothes! Thanks! I needed a horse fix!
    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I wish Gem would shed out in a couple of days!!! He starts shedding in March and finishes up in May. I bet L looks nice and shiny now!

    Our robins, usually here before St. Pat's Day, did not arrive until until the beginning of April. It's been brutal here, with only a couple of nice days over the last month. Lots of rain and lots of flooding.

    I love a nice cold beer after riding, but I am no expert. How would you describe your Trappist beer? Light?

    Happy Spring to you and L!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *love* L's shaggy feet!

      The Trappist ales are light in color but don't be fooled. They're all full flavored and deep bodied with a complex flavor. Very hoppy and floral. Not at all like American pale ales. I found the Spencer Trappist beer is a little more frothy then the other Trappist beers. It's definitely an "ale" in every sense but best had in a glass. From the bottle the head will come right up out the neck and over the table.

      Westmalle is still my favorite Trappist ale. I think every beer fan should try a Trappist ale and decide for themselves. Whether you like it or not it really is an experience. Kind of expensive stuff so I think of it as a special occasion beer.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...