Sunday, January 27, 2013

Warming trend?

No.

8:00 AM 26 January

I think it got colder during the day. At least it felt like it did! I just hate the cold. There's nothing good about the cold. It's been like this for a week now.

L is really crabby having been barn bound a few days because of the footing. It's hard for everybody.

Get away from me!

What happens is the mud gets all churned up when it's mild and then it freezes that way. The footing is very treacherous.

The property is abundant with life even in the cold. Along with bunnies and the mice I see a lone coyote happened by within the past few hours.

Fresh coyote tracks

The wind and the sun distorted those tracks. But not by much. They're just a few hours old. We have some good sized coyotes pass through! We've seen them. As a matter of fact L has, more than once, wanted to chase them down and stomp them.

Last week while in the woods we came across this.

Holly?

The green as you can see was quite conspicuous. I was very surprised to find holly out there. Apparently some species are native to eastern North America but I've *never* seen holly growing wild. That's a male holly tree. It had to have been planted by somebody. It appears to be thriving.

I would love to know more about the history of the property. Oh I've looked. The grounds are criss crossed with stone walls and brooks have been diverted with sophisticated dams that fell into disrepair decades ago. One of these days I'll have to see if I can find something at the local historical society.


Product Review!

My hands have been like blocks of ice at the ends of my arms this year. So I got these.

Fleece lined double ragg mittens from Fox River

Love 'em! Two thumbs up!

1 comment:

  1. We were freezing last week, too. Today it was +10F. WTH?! Everything is melting. Friday's temps are supposed to get really cold again. I am sure the trails will be treacherous, so it will be riding in the arena again this weekend. I am thankful that we have an arena.....

    Thanks for the mitt suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...