Saturday, December 10, 2011

Tofu? Again?!

I like tofu. No, no, I don't do tofu hot dogs and tofu burgers.

I like the cheese like blocks of firm tofu. I dry them with paper towels, cut them into cubes or planks and marinate them. Tofu has no flavor so it really has to be marinated. I usually marinate tofu overnight.

Tofu cubes in sweet and sour marinade

Marinated tofu is excellent with salads or noodles which can be an appetizer, a side dish or a main course. Plain tofu is good in soups.

Ponzu marinated tofu with soba noodles

I think Asian flavors work best with tofu. Soy. Teriyaki. Sweet and sour. Ponzu.

I want to try some more western flavors with tofu. I wanted to do something Mediterranean with tofu. Oh, some sort of olive oil and vinegar marinade. Maybe with some mustard and honey. Add some Mediterranean herbs. But I slipped right back to a teriyaki marinade when I decided this:

Ming Tsai did something like this on Simply Ming

Would be perfect with smoked salmon!

Teriyaki tofu salad and smoked salmon

Marinades I use all the time:

Teriyaki:
  • Soy sauce (oh, 2 tablespoons maybe)
  • Honey (a tablespoon or so)
  • Chopped garlic (not a lot, maybe 1 clove)
  • Ginger (a tiny bit, finely minced or run over a grater)
I have variations that I think of as "teriyaki based". Sometimes I add the juice from half a lime. Sometimes I use ponzu instead of soy sauce. Sometimes I add a big splash of oyster sauce.

Sweet and sour:
  • White vinegar, 1/3 cup
  • Honey, 2 or 3 tablespoons
  • Ketchup, a couple of tablespoons
  • Soy sauce, a tablespoon or two
I add a generous amount of sriracha to these and their variations. I often use some sesame oil, maybe a tablespoon, and I'll sometimes add finely chopped red onion. And green onion. And chili peppers.

These make good dipping sauces as well. The teriyaki based sauces are good with seared tuna. I withhold the honey for the marinade because it burns if you're not careful.

If I'm stir frying I'll mix these up and add a tablespoon of corn starch in some water and use it to finish the stir fry. You can add corn starch and water to these and simmer them to give them a slightly thick and silky quality that make good dressings.

So if you haven't tried tofu you have to try it!

Sweet and sour tofu stir fry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...