Saturday, December 17, 2011

Rhythm of life

I live in a village. No really. Officially, we're a village. Thirty one miles from downtown Boston.

25 June 2011, 5:50 pm

I've wanted to put that picture up ever since I took it. There, that's our "Main St." looking east. It's almost 6:00 pm and I'm standing on the double yellow line taking pictures. Not a lot goes on here. The village common is directly behind me. The town hall is to my right and the village church is to my left. I live a block down that street on the right. The whole area is an historic district and the neighborhood has a lot of charm.

The population was less than 10,000 when I first came here and last year it was close to 13,000. I didn't plan on being here. It was sort of a happy accident I landed here some years ago and I didn't plan on staying. It's just kind of worked out that way.

There's a whole "rhythm of life" thing going on here that, while it's not for everyone, I've really come to enjoy. I guess it's a kind of stop and smell the flowers sort of thing. I've used the same "rhythm of life" expression to describe barn life and handling horses but it's different. Village life is mostly...slow, while barn life has a certain cadence moving through the day. In both cases I use the expression to describe the whole of it as a pleasant thing. I like it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...