Sunday, January 5, 2014

A certain charm

Even I have to admit that, as much as I hate winter, and nobody hates it more than I, it has a certain charm sometimes. Undisturbed freshly fallen snow is very pretty. This is a classic New England scene.

Barn driveway, 4 January

And then there's these little curiosities.

Little snowball trails

Now how exactly did those little snowballs leave the dotted trails behind? I really don't think they bounced along. And they couldn't possibly have rolled along that soft powdery snow without making a mark. It's a mystery!

And the rabbit tracks! The barn property is lousy with rabbits. There are rabbits *everywhere*.

Wabbit tracks!

The rabbits aren't scared of you when you're on a horse. So the rest of the year they mostly just sit and watch you ride by.

And...there's really nothing quite like getting out on a good horse in this stuff.


It was clear and cold all day. With some wind in the afternoon. Branches sound like gunshots when they break in this cold.

We saw all kinds of tracks in the snow but L and I didn't see another living thing out there all afternoon.

Solitude

I had a really good time and L? Well. She thinks she's in Florida.



And here's this gem from my archives. The winter of 1980/1981 was very cold. As a matter of fact the local news reported the record cold for this past Friday night was set in 1981 (-4°F in Boston). That's very cold for Boston. Boston takes its weather data from the airport which extends into the harbor where it's warmer than the surrounding areas.

Here's Plymouth Harbor Massachusetts. Frozen solid in January 1981.


If I recall correctly Nantucket Sound froze that season. I can only recall that happening twice in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...