Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Luck runs out?

Sort of. I've fallen off of horses more times than I can count. A few bumps and bruises is all. Several days ago, while enjoying the last few minutes of a perfectly lovely ride on a most picture perfect day, L spooked at..nothing. Absolutely. Nothing. Huge spook. I was airborne headed for a fence before I could even say "hey" and it was just one of those things. I knew. I just knew. I was gonna...land..hard.

Everybody was too upset to take pictures. I managed to get one off in the ambulance before they told me not to do that. Not bad what with being strapped to a backboard and all.

I'm being "evaluated". Make for the nearest trauma center?

The guys from the fire department were great. The horses kept getting in their faces and they didn't miss a beat. I'm gonna have to get them a gift card to Papa Gino's something.

A few broken ribs and a bruised kidney. *Not* what I had planned for my summer vacation! Could have been worse. I didn't break my neck. And I didn't puncture a lung. Make no mistake though. Hurts like hell. And apparently having more than 3 broken ribs is serious business.

Oh and by the way. You need to REPLACE YOUR HELMET whenever it takes a good whack.

My biggest problem right now is managing my Percocet and my beer. Don't *ever* mix them.

With many thanks to my good friends taking care of my horses for the time being that's not the big problem it could be.

There's that and of course, fixing dinner. I don't think I'll be flinging cast iron frying pans around for a while.



Which brings me to the wrap!

It takes me a while, but I can still manage things like this!

Tomato Basil Wrap

No heavy lifting! No vigorous technique! Actually, I wasn't so sure I could whip up a dressing. Hell I wasn't so sure I could even slice a tomato. But I managed and that was encouraging. This tomato/basil wrap was inspired by Panera Bread's Mediterranean Veggie Cafe sandwich.

I put a double line of thinly sliced cucumber on a bed of chopped lettuce (frisèe in this case) on a whole wheat tortilla.
Scattered some chopped tomato over that.
Scattered whole basil leaves over that.
Scattered some chopped Peppadew peppers over that. I *love* those Peppadew peppers!
I crumbled some chèvre over that and made up a light honey lemon vinaigrette to spoon on. Used not hardly more than a teaspoon.

Roll that up and I found it light and flavorful and satisfying. Great with Chianti!

Oh. I just happened to have some roasted red onions so I put them on there too. It needed a chili pepper. Next time!

I have a feeling I'm going to be making a lot of wraps.

And being able to pick up stuff with your feet is a good skill to have.



I'll probably start using a saddle for the foreseeable future. Maybe I just don't react as fast as I used to. I knew she was a little wound up but at the same time I was sure it was too hot for her to get stupid. Maybe my judgment just isn't as good as it used to be...

8 comments:

  1. Holy crap! That was quite a fall! Glad that your head and back are OK. Broken ribs suck though. Perhaps she got stung? I have to admit that I chucked when I read you were trying to manage your Percocet and beer - something I would do. LOL And picking stuff up with your feet will keep you flexible, right? :-) Sending positive thoughts your way for a speedy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wolfie! These things are just a part of our lives. We confront this stuff every day. I'm in pain but otherwise no serious harm done. Thankfully.

      I can hardly wait to ride.

      I've been stepped on, kicked, bitten, run over and dumped and I keep going back for more.

      It's not her fault.

      People say oh he got "thrown from a horse". Well no. I just fell off. Sometimes I think only horse people understand that. Hurts like hell but thankfully no real harm done.

      Delete
  2. Hi, got here from Wolfie's blog. Sending you wishes for a speedy recovery so you don't have to handle your food with your feet for too long ;) being tossed sucks and it hurts more as we get older. Can't tell you how many times I've been thrown or fallen either. Luckily, never been all that hurt, except for the last time. Blue spooked at absolutely nothing either and I was treated to my first ride in an ambulance during a snow storm. Only a concussion and some bruising. The helmet probably saved what little brains I have left. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and thank you for your kind wishes. I *really* hope it's my last ambulance ride.

      Some of our lessons are a lot harder than others!

      Delete
  3. I came across your blog from 'What Was I Thinking...?". Wolfie introduced her post by requesting that folks send positive energy to "Living the Dream". When I first read that, I thought, "How does SHE know?!".... then I realized that I am "Living a Dream"... one little word of difference. But, uncannily, we have a few more similar things going on (she types as the Percocet begins to stuff cotton around her brain and make her skin crawl). I have had my share of falls, but this time the antecedent of my Percocet was minor surgery. Oh, and for me it was more about managing the wine and the Percocet - opted for the opiate last night!
    Anyway, broken ribs and bruised kidney sound far worse than my situation. I hope you have a speedy recovery. If the drugs had been circulating more in my system when I read your post, I am thinking I would have been licking my computer screen to get a bite of the tomato-basil wrap. It looks delicious!
    (I sold my horses last year, but here is a link to a post that tells about my parting of the ways: http://livingadream2.blogspot.com/2012/04/hobby-horse-blog-hop-9-life-is-cabaret.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you're just lucky that tumbleweed didn't get you!

      I love Haffies :)

      Likewise best wishes for a speedy recovery. Too nice this time of year to feel miserable.

      Delete
  4. Was visiting Wolfie's blog and thought I'd drop by and send you get well soon wishes! That sounded like absolutely no fun at all. I'm not a seasoned rider but love horses; have only fallen once, sort of onto my heavily padded butt ;o) Take it easy and hope you're back in the saddle soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. I'm really looking forward to riding again soon!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...