Sunday, December 16, 2012

Crudo?

Crudo at home!

Salmon crudo

I typically don't fix crudo at home. Things like sashimi, ceviche, carpaccio and so on I think are best left to professionals.

Then a few weeks ago I was having something Italian for dinner. I don't remember exactly what but I *really* wanted to start with crudo. Then I had an idea! I stopped at a sushi place on my way home from the barn and I got some tuna sashimi to go. Fresh fish of the highest quality with no other preparation at all. Of course. I can fix crudo with that!


  • Get some sashimi to go. Halibut and scallop crudo are my favorites but you don't see either one as sashimi in the sushi restaurants around here. Tuna and salmon are much more common. Both make very good crudo.
  • Lay the fish pieces out on a chilled plate
  • Squeeze on some lemon juice
  • Dribble on some nice olive oil
  • Finish with salt and pepper. Lightly scatter your favorite herbs over the plate. I like chopped green onions.
You want to serve your crudo within 10 minutes or so I think otherwise the lemon juice might "overcook" the crudo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...