Sunday, February 5, 2012

Redemption?

Look at this. Hard to believe.

4 February 2012 11:44 am

I have to be careful so as not to speak too soon. But here it is the 5th of February and I haven't had to wear long underwear yet. My fingers are crossed!

So there we are out enjoying the lovely day.

After the fall...

When all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, L gets all kinds of spooky and stupid. She stumbled and as she caught herself she slipped in the mud. Next thing you know there I am sitting in the mud and she's eating grass. No, not her fault really. I got caught a little off guard and there's no good reason for me to be in that position. Of course I know better than to be "caught a little off guard".

I realize being..er.."dismounted" can be an awful experience. In some (sad) cases it can even be a defining experience. Fortunately L's only 15.1 hh and the ground's not too far away. Mud, by the way, really is softer than clay. The scope of my experience is wider.

I gathered myself up and brushed off as much mud as I could. I gathered up L and climbed back on board and forgot about the whole thing just a few strides later. I decide we'll turn around and go back the way we came and...in the same spot going in the other direction she stumbles again and slips in the mud!

And I'm thinking to myself "Aw no. Not twice in one day!" as my left leg starts losing its grip.

Fortunately I managed to stay with her and I don't have to live with that! So there. I felt I redeemed myself. A little bit anyway.

Note to self. Again. When it's clear you've lost your seat, and you and your mount are going to part company - let the reins go. At least I don't use a bit.

I still have to call it a good ride. Nothing broken and she didn't leave me out there to walk home. She's a good horse. So I went home and had a beer!

2 comments:

  1. Glad everyone is OK. L has such a presence about her, I thought she was taller. :-) What a good girl she is to stick around and wait for you to get back on. Beer after a good ride?...Absolutely!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...