Saturday, October 8, 2011

This one is special

We see Monarch butterflies all season long around the barn. This one here is special.

1 October 2011

It was just a few weeks ago I learned that Monarch butterfly caterpillars only eat milkweed. I had no idea. That's probably why we see them around the barn so much. There's milkweed everywhere.

Sometime when I was a little kid I had learned about the migration of the California Monarch butterflies. So well known I suppose because they gather in great clouds to migrate. And for some reason I was left with the impression the migration was unique to the California butterflies.

I had no idea that our local Monarchs migrate. I guess all Monarch butterflies migrate.

It wasn't until 1975 that the winter destination of our local butterflies was known. Years of investigation by a Canadian zoologist found the winter destination of the eastern Monarch butterflies. An assistant found the exact destination on 9 January 1975.

Which brings me to the little guy pictured above. He's special. Yes that is a male. Monarch butterflies live for 2 months. The reproductive cycle in this guy however has gone dormant and he'll live for 7 months. He's going to migrate. He'll travel only during daylight. Cruising 20 kmh at an altitude of 50 meters. Eating only milkweed. At night.

His destination is a 60 square mile territory in central Mexico. The butterflies gather there with as many as 20 million of them in an area 1/3 the size of a football field. There his reproductive inclinations will become active. He and billions of his friends will make more butterflies to migrate northward next Spring.

I think that's rather amazing. I'll bet he's in Washington DC by now!

4 comments:

  1. It absolutely is an amazing story. I have seen a number of monarchs recently...we have milkweed around the barn too. Hard to believe that this fragile-looking creatures can make that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, almost forgot. I gave you an award. :-) You can "pick it up" at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starting from the end of September all of the Monarchs are migratory.

    Your Monarchs and my Monarchs will eventually spend the winter in Mexico together.

    Which I think really isn't a bad idea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Actually - your Monarchs start migrating from the end of August. Earlier than my Monarchs. Of course.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...