Saturday, October 22, 2011

Colors?

The fall foliage has been pretty dull around here this year.

22 October 2011

The leaves go from green to a dull rust red, weak washed out yellow or brown and then the leaves drop. I don't think I've seen a single flaming orange or brilliant crimson tree anywhere. Even the local meteorologist during the weather forecast last commented on the dull colors.

I have no idea why this is the case. Some years are better than others of course but this year the foliage is notably boring. I know stressed trees tend to be more colorful and I know sick trees tend to be less colorful. That's about all I know about foliage.

But here, this is a common sight this season:

Boring



Here's something to suit the season!

Roasted butternut squash and red bell peppers

This is a simple dish of roasted butternut squash, red bell peppers, chopped garlic and fresh rosemary.

Preheat your oven to 350.
  • Peel and seed a butternut squash, cut into half inch cubes
  • Cut 1 red bell pepper into half inch squares
  • Toss with a tablespoon of olive oil, chopped garlic and some fresh rosemary
Roast for 30 or 40 minutes. This is equally good as a side dish or a light main course. I'll bet a glass of syrah will go very nicely with it.

2 comments:

  1. Colours have been pretty tame here too. I think the uncommonly warm weather has had something to do with it.

    We just finished a pot of butternut squash red pepper soup! :-) I do like having the different squashes and root vegetables available this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love butternut squash and red pepper soup. The flavors go together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...