Saturday, February 12, 2011

Equine TMJ

Have you all noticed we use a bitless bridle?


That's not because I'm heavy handed. Although my hands aren't as light as I'd like them to be. L has dysfunctional TMJ. Equine dysfunctional TMJ is rare. It's most likely the result of trauma. It's hard to say how or when or exactly what happened but we'd had some challenging bitting issues and, I think it was late in 2005, I noticed a prominent clicking sound she'd make when she was eating.

Here, turn the sound up and listen:



She'd taken on a fondness for leaning on the bit. There was no apparent discomfort and she didn't appear to be in pain. She leaned on the bit something awful. I couldn't keep her from doing that to save my life and things just weren't working for us. It was very frustrating.

She was diagnosed and treated in 2006. Basically you treat equine TMJ problems with either massage or chiropractic treatment. Chiropractic treatment was preferred for her and I've had the chiropractor visit her monthly since. Often enough she's just fine and she doesn't need treatment every with every visit. I have him come anyway just to assure me she's fine if nothing else. Besides, sometimes something else needs adjusting anyway. And he fixed my wrenched elbow once too.

And I did some research. I was sure I just had to use the lightest touch with the right bit. There isn't very much information out there, at least there wasn't at the time and what I found was discouraging. What I learned was the more the way bit is supposed to work, no matter its design, the more stressful it will be on a horse with TMJ problems. And of course, not every TMJ "problem" is the same. But the fact is her just holding a bit in her mouth is a problem and she'll never ever go in a bit.

Product Review!

My trainer suggested we try a bitless bridle with her. So late in 2006 we tried Dr. Cook's bitless bridle.

It's rather a shame I think Dr. Cook comes off as such a nutbag. I think his bridle is a quality product and I think his point of view is rather offputting.

And..it's a good thing that, by late 2006, I'd learned some horse sense. I long lined L with her new bridle in a training ring just to see what she thought of it. Good thing. She pitched a perfect fit looking for her bit. For 20 minutes at least I got one hell of a workout. She tossed her head and she tried to spin and she kicked out and she just wanted no part of it.

Then, like somebody threw a switch, she settled and we've never looked back.

The next day we'd gone out and had a very nice ride in the ring. I was taught to ride mostly with my seat anyway and my hands, while they're not like I'd like them to be, aren't all that bad either. L is light and responsive going bitless. I think it's a quality bridle. If you use one you'll want to have spare cross-under straps and I find the cross-under straps do tend to flip upside down in the attachment rings and while it's harmless enough it still irritates me.

I give Dr. Cook's Bitless Bridle a B. It's a quality product and it works, but I'm left interested in other products as well. Oh, and while it is a quality product I do think it's a little pricey for what it is. I think the one I have was over $120.

Oh! The rules require a bit be used for Dressage, English and Western pleasure so we can't compete in those disciplines. That's not where my passion lies anyway. One can do competitive trail and show jumping without a bit.

Edited 13 February to add: By the way, the single best thing in the world for treating equine dysfunctional TMJ is grazing. So I've read.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I really like your blog, and am very interested in the whole bit-free concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that the transition was not that bad. One of the ladies at my barn went bitless, but found that her horse was not as responsive. She's still working on it though. Perhaps she needs to work on her seat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much.

    I had a Thoroughbred off the track who taught me a lot about light hands. I never had to do much more than stiffen my fingers with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like anything else we do patience helps!

    So much of what we're taught is about being "on the bit". As a concept "contact" and "on the bit" is as meaningful bitless as it it is bitted. It really isn't any different. I just find now I think more about being "on the aids" than being "on the bit".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...