Sunday, February 20, 2011

Natural aids

This was the very first time we did this:

September 2007

We do this now and then and I swear it's the most fun ever!

We're not just showing off. This exercise helps us bond and builds our confidence. I think when you do it right, as far as they're concerned, they're just "hanging out with the herd". And in her world "hanging out with the herd" is just the greatest thing.


This exercise helps me with my balance and helps me be less dependent on my hands. I work on that *all* the time. Is there a better way to learn to depend less on artificial aids?


Best Horse Ever

Working without artificial aids helps me think more about the whole business of "the aids". There's a story behind this picture here.


L has been messing with me lately. It's rather funny, but still. Even though she's only 15.1 hands I can't mount bareback from the ground. I need a mounting block.

I lead her out to the block and she'll march right over and stand there like a statue. I'll do this and I'll do that. I'll fix her reins and step up one step. Fine. I'll step up another step and...fine. As soon as I gather the reins and grab a handful of mane? She'll step away. She doesn't just step away. She steps away to just about an inch out of reach. And if anyone is watching she'll turn and give them a two eyed look. Like she's saying "you see that? I'm messing with him".

So my trainer says this has to stop and I have to fix it. We're lucky to have her because in reality I'm a slob. So we're going to do mounting block exercises and, as soon she hands me a whip I tell her. L is not going to mess with me. I know. She's not going to mess with me. Yes she will. No she won't. Yes she will. No she won't. Well go do it anyway.

And she didn't mess with me. We all laughed like a bunch of fools.

You know why she didn't mess with me? Why I knew she wouldn't mess with me? Because I was ready to be messed with and she knew it. She will not mess with me when she knows I'm ready to be messed with. It's that simple.

Which brings me to back to "being on the aids". I'm sure I've said this before. L will not mess with me when she's on the aids and I keep her on the aids. When she's light in my hands and she's flexing and supple and listening to my legs she's going to be right there every step and she'll be just as happy as she can be. And that's not just for the arena. That goes when we trail ride too. She's not even going to think about snatching up a mouthful of grass when she's on the aids.

It's challenging sometimes because I tend to be a little sloppy by nature.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you can ride without a saddle and a bridle! One day..... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm no Stacy Westfall!

    I just have a really good horse. And as far as I'm concerned I'm the luckiest guy in the world.

    L and I spent a lot of time together before we could do that and I think temperament has a lot to do with it too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...