Thursday, September 9, 2010

Rituals

The Labor Day Road Trip is a big ritual.

I used to spend summers here when I was a kid. A popular summer resort a couple hours from here. A week ago this would have been a mob scene.

A day or two after Labor Day and it's practically a ghost town. I love the contrast. I had my fill of the mob scene when I was a kid.

And I just can't get enough of the ghost town.

Every Labor Day I take the week off. Right after Labor Day I do the Road Trip and I go watch them close up shop.


I walk and I sit on the boardwalk...

I have a Big Mac!


Um. You gonna share those?


In just a day or two the whole rhythm of life here changes. Not a little. It changes a lot.


And here. Down at the other end of the lake. Likewise a mob scene just a day or two ago. A lovely day. It was quiet and peaceful. I swear I could have just sat here and watched the bay until it was dark. I had half a mind to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...