Saturday, June 16, 2012

Blissful Ignorance

Beef. Comes from the supermarket. Right?

A familiar sight on almost every kitchen counter

This is about factory farming.

I love veal. I haven't eaten veal in 20 years. I accidentally channel hopped by CNN one night. There was a film regarding how calves for the veal market are treated. I wouldn't go out of my way to see something like that. I'd rather not know. I haven't eaten veal since.

CA Senate Bill 1520 has me thinking about this. It bans foie gras in California as of 1 July.

I usually land on the animal rights side of things but I have to agree completely with this Bon Appétit article that suggests the bill is misguided.

I love (almost) everything about food.

I just *love* old orchards.


And of course I *really* love vineyards.

They have weddings here

Now and then I visit New Bedford. For the most awesome seafood.


Our neighbors plant tomatoes...

Tomatoes. Thirty acres of tomatoes!

I love lamb. I'm lucky. I get my lamb from a family farm within walking distance from my house. I visit that farm and I pat the lambs on their fuzzy little heads and I kiss their wet noses.

I've thought about it and for me it's a quality of life thing.

Factory farming is horrific. It's an ugly thing and I admit - I close my eyes and I put my fingers in my ears.

I'd decided to use alternatives to factory farms at every opportunity. I do and I'm happy with that.

I've personally seen geese in France raised for foie gras and I've found nothing offensive about it. I understand Hudson Valley Foie Gras treats their birds well.

Frankly I think banning foie gras is a completely (ridiculous) empty humanitarian gesture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...