Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Corn - 2020

Oh my. I really haven't kept up with my blog have I? Over 4 months since my last post?

Of course, 2020 has been a complete and total disaster. Between the plague. The riots. And the circus that politics has become. Not to mention natural disasters - record hurricane season, late season snow (9 May!), early season snow (30 October!) and we even had an earthquake here off the coast of Massachusetts!

And...truth is, I've had not much of anything going on!



But! I always try to keep track of...corn!

Corn was late this year. Spring was cold and wet. The first native (not local) corn was in the farm stands on 15 July.
This was from Northampton or Deerfield 15 July

It was very good corn actually. I never did try any corn from Connecticuit or New Jersey this year.

The first local corn in the farm stands on 25 July. Yes that's very late.
Local corn, 25 July (Arcadian Farms)

Arcadian Farms had the best of the local corn this year. It really wasn't a good year for corn and none of it was outstanding. The last of the corn was around 7 or 8 October. Yes very early. I was able to snag a few ears after but basically the locals just stopped picking because it wasn't worth the trouble.

Interestingly enough I did discover Charles River Farm near where I live. An honor system farm stand with a fairly wide selection of produce. They had corn regularly but it wasn't their own. They'd buy it every morning from the markets in the city and it usually came....from of all places...Quincy! The corn was always good and I'll be very happy to support them next season. I just love fresh summer produce!

I do rememeber however my very last ear of native corn this year was on 23 October from Calabrese Farms in Southwick, Massachusetts. I was driving by and I swear I thought I was seeing things but there, on a hill behind the farm stand, they still had corn!

1 comment:

  1. We're quite opposite on the political spectrum but I just wanted to say I appreciate this archive of humanity and you seem like a genuine curious and good person. Thanks for the words!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...