Sunday, July 15, 2012

Local Corn!

I had some corn from Deerfield, Massachusetts a couple of weeks ago. It was good. It was "local". Well, more local than Georgia.

*This*, however, is the real thing!

From just down the street. 14 July

I thought for sure the local corn would be early this year. Everything has been growing like crazy! But as it turns out, yesterday was just about right. Last season's local corn came in a year ago next week. So I lived to see another year's fresh local corn!

Last year I took a liking to these.

Bourbon Rickey

An instant favorite!

Squeeze a half a lime into a tall ice cube filled glass, drop in what's left of the lime, add a shot of your favorite bourbon and top it all off with sparkling water (club soda). So good!

It turns out this is a short season for the local blueberries. This will be the last weekend for picking blueberries at most places.

Blueberries

Hands down my single most favorite thing in the whole world. From the time I was a little kid.

Blueberry pie

Not pretty. I know. But it's pie. Pie is awesome. It's a Pillsbury pie crust. I should really learn to make pie crust some one of these days. Pillsbury pie crust has trans fat. It's not "reportable" but it has partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in its list of ingredients.

The filling:
  • Blueberries. 4 cups.
  • Tapioca starch. 2 tablespoons.
  • Lemon juice. A few drops.
  • Cinnamon. A generous pinch.
  • Honey. 2 tablespoons.
Gently mix the ingredients together. Line a pie plate with pie crust, fill it with the blueberry mixture, dot with some butter (I don't use a lot, maybe 1 tablespoon), cover with another pie crust, crimp the edge and cut some vent slots in the top.

Put the pie in a preheated 450 degree oven. After 10 minutes turn the oven down to 350 and it should be done in another 40 minutes or so.

1 comment:

  1. I always thought blueberry pies were harder to make than apple. Your recipe seems easy though, and the pie looks amazing.
    I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...