Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Spring Salad

Seasonal food doesn't mean what it used to. With produce today we can get almost anything almost any time. The quality of the local produce is superior at peak harvest but we still have apples all year long, which was unheard of when I was a kid. The Spring Salad is still something special I look forward to every year.

Spring Green Salad with Wild Violets

The property around the barn just explodes with wild violets in the Spring. You can collect the blossoms by the pint container. Here in North America most people think wild violets are weeds. Maybe so. But they're edible weeds! Just don't eat the yellow ones. If you find any.

"Weeds"

I like violets on salads and I like the blossoms on ice cream. The blossoms have some nutritional value but no flavor really. Just eye appeal. Pansies are in the violet family. Pansies are also edible. The wild violet season is short - I think maybe I'll plant some pansies over at the barn this year!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...