Friday, December 17, 2010

Wheat Thins

Really. This time it's homemade Wheat Thins!



Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • A pinch of salt. A teaspoon maybe.
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 tablespoons of butter. I used 4 tablespoons of canola oil. I freely mix butter and canola oil anywhere from all butter to no butter depending on how I'm feeling about saturated fat. Of course it affects the flavor but not a lot.
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon of turbinado sugar
  • 1/4 cup water. As much more as you think you need. The air was really dry, I probably used 1/3 of a cup or so.
Heat your oven at 400. Mix all the dry ingredients and add the butter or oil, honey and vanilla. Then work the water in with a fork slowly until it looks, well, "doughy". This is exactly like the rye crackers.

Then divide the dough into 4 balls. Put a ball between some wax or parchment paper and roll it out to about 1/8 inch think. Put them on a baking sheet and bake them for about 5 minutes.

I'm amazed at how easy it is to make crackers and everybody seems to love them.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I definitely have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! Oh my, edited 12/17...

    That's 1 1/2 tablespoons of honey, NOT 1 1/2 teaspoons!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...